Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Lectio Extension- Session 1

To Begin
The purpose of these first sessions will be to get you acquainted with both Thelma Hall's book and to provide practice in the monastic method of Lectio Divina, done in private and shared on the blog. Passages for Lectio will be indicated, but you will need to look them up in your own Bible.

Reading I
"The Deepening of an Interpersonal Relationship." Ch. 3, Too Deep for Words, by Thelma Hall.
Thelma Hall's emphasis on relationship in prayer echoes what we heard from Mike Potter in the Lectio Divina workshop. Note especially her comments on the grace of accepted love (p. 28--).

Lectio Divina

Opening Prayer
Lord, We believe that you wish to communicate with us through the words of sacred Scripture. Let our listening to and reading these words open us to ponder more deeply your message. May the message touch our hearts and lead us to respond.
This we ask in Jesus' name. Amen.


Scripture
Is: 43, 2 - 7 Do not be afraid for I have redeemed you; I have called you by your name, you are mine. . . .I am. . . . your God. . . .I regard you as precious. . . .and I love you. . . .
(The passage is taken from Hall's book, p. 59. Be sure to go to the Bible and read the entire passage.)

Moments in Lectio as we practiced in the workshop (Handout #4)
Lectio: Listening to the word of God, becoming aware of any word or phrase that that catches your attention.
Meditatio: Reflecting on the Word of God. Reading/Listening the second time be aware of any thought or reflection.
Oratio: Responding to the Word of God. Reading/Listening for the third time be aware of any prayer that rises up within you, expressing what you are experiencing.
Contemplatio: Resting in the Word of God. Reading/Listening to the Word of God for the fourth time, just sit with the word and allow God to speak to you in the silence of your hearts.

Take the word or phrase that you spent time with into your day. Let it remind you to consent to God's action and presence within you.

Response
You are invited to share your response to any of our reading, but especially to the Scripture. To respond on the blog simply click on "comments," type your comment in, remembering to click on publish when through.

Note
From the Lectio Divina Workshop: This is an organic, natural process. Let the spirit flow; put yourself in God's hands. Don't try to manipulate the process. If it seems awkward at first, keep on anyway. It will ease as you practice. (that's why they call it practice :-)

5 comments:

Judi said...

"Fear not. . . .named as mine."

Those words resonated in my heart as I read over Isaiah and listened to God speaking. I reflected on the times I am afraid, and decided they are way too many for someone who calls herself a Christian! I fear so many things--losing money in this economy, the other "party" winning, change in my church, the continual diminishment of aging, and the list goes on.

But I have been named by God, called into being as I am. God is my fortune, my desire, my help in aging, my GPS as I make my way through His world. "Named as mine" carries with it not a law or obligation, but the need for a response--response in love, to love. We are so powerfully and unconditionally loved. Dear God may we remember that with each breath we draw.

Judi G.

John Kelsey said...

v 5 "fear not for I am with you"
I Reflect that I'm often too busy to be aware of God's presence with me
I Respond in gratitude for this gift of awareness
I Rest in this
John

Anonymous said...

"Precious" Webster defines the word this way: highly esteemed or cherished 'a precious friend'

I'll think about that this week.

Anonymous said...

Thelma Hall's description of "The Grace of Accepted Love" (Pages 29-32) is worth re-reading. God's love is immense.

Anonymous said...

1. I read the words but they seem dryer than burnt toast.

2. I read the words again. "Fear not for I am with you". My mind seems dryer than burnt toast.

3. I sit with the words. Fear not and be still my mind for my heart knows that You are with me...always.