Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Lectio Extension - Session 2

To Begin
The extension of our Lectio Divina learning is Chapter 4, "Lectio Divina" in Thelma Hall's book, Too Deep For Words. This chapter covers the four moments of lectio (see Session 1 Blog) but in great depth, especially oratio (prayer) and contemplatio (resting in God).

It is suggested that you read the highlights of the chapter reproduced below, then move into the practice of lectio.

After lectio, when you have space for spiritual reading, go back to Chapter 4 and read each section slowly, meditatively. There are many riches in those sections; they take time to digest.

Highlights of Chapter Four
Lectio:
I prepare for this sacred reading by taking time to quiet my body and mind, in order to bring my whole person into a single focus. . . .This is already the beginning of my response to a person, who calls me to open my mind and heart to him. . . .In all, my goal is to personalize the words, to real-ize them as God speaking to me
, now.

Meditatio:
Each person's prayer relationship with the Lord is unique. . . .In some the imaginative faculty is more developed and active, and for such people the use of imagery may be very helpful to bring their meditation alive. . . . In this approach one enters by means of imagination a Gospel scene, seeing and hearing the person, imagining the touch and smells of the environment, etc. I might identify myself with some person in the scene, or be present there as myself, watching, listening, experiencing what is going on. . . . .What do I see? How shall I respond. . . .

One whose imagination is not so active or well developed but who is perhaps more intuitive might gain more by savoring the truth or insight inherent in the passage, deeply interiorizing what Jesus is saying by allowing his words to repeat themselves slowly again and again, in the depths of the heart, until it is deeply penetrated with Jesus' assuring love, and spontaneously responds in kind.

Oratio:
This [moment] is the real beginning of prayer. . . .
For the goal of prayer is not thoughts or concepts or knowledge about God, however sublime, but God himself as he is, mysteriously hidden in my deepest, true self. . . .[An] increase of "holy desire" is one of the effects of Oratio. By it God creates in us a greater capacity for himself, not only by our longing but sometimes through the very frustration and powerlessness we experience as we reach out blindly toward him. It is as though we are being drawn by a magnetic force in our own depths, toward God as our center of gravity, where that center coincides with our true self.

Contemplatio:
All that is asked of us is that we "stay quiet before Yahweh, wait longingly for him" (Ps 37:7a).

Opening Prayer and Scripture:
Lord, let me be open to your spirit in the words of scripture. Let me hear you as I listen. Let me rest in you as I respond. Let me carry your words into my day. Amen.

Pray the moments of lectio using the following scripture passage: Lk 9:46-50 (p. 97 in Hall's book)

After Lectio Divina:
You are invited to share insights, problems, prayer, questions, and comments that have emerged as a result of your time with the Word. Simply click on "comments" below this posting, remembering to publish your comment as you sign out.

Suggestion for taking the Word into your day: Write the word or phrase that caught you today on a post-it note, or on two or three. Place the note(s) on your bedroom/bath mirror, inside your wallet or purse and perhaps on your computer or dashboard. You will be reminded of the moments of resting in God and carry His love with you on your way.


6 comments:

Judi said...

I've tried Lectio with this passage twice now, and can't quiet enough to even get a word or phrase! It might be all the confusion of Election Day and pressure of the holidays coming up. I'll try again tomorrow. Please God my mind will quiet enough to meet Him.

Is anyone else having this trouble?

John Kelsey said...

v48 welcome
reflect: I often judge before welcoming
respond: my judgments are one more way of showing me my self- centeredness and dependence on God's grace for healing. Humiliation on the way to humility?

Judi said...

"whoever receives me, receives the one who sent me."
Open--to those around me, to the Spirit of God in them, to the stirrings of God in me. Jesus acts not for himself, but in the Father's name.
How often I close my eyes to both Him and the one who sent Him and act in my own name.
Humility is truth. Lord that I may see.

Anonymous said...

All week long I mulled it and resisted it. I did not want to deal with it. Then I started questioning why I was resisting it. What is the scripture telling me? Could it be sometimes we feel that people who think or do things different, are not only not of the same mind but are actually against us?
Comments will be very welcome!


This reading gave me unexpected results. If anyone can share their insights it will be helpful.

I read the scripture and a phrase came immediately. v. 50 "But Jesus said to him, "Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you".Why would "whoever is not against you is for you", stay with me? I did not want that to be the phrase that stayed with me.

I read it again and again and the same phrase persisted. All week I mulled it over and kept resisting it. I didn't like it! I didn't want that to be the phrase.

Anonymous said...

Oops. somehow the first paragraph is supposed to be at the end. The following is how I meant it to be...

This reading gave me unexpected results. If anyone can share their insights it will be helpful.

I read the scripture and a phrase came immediately. v. 50 "But Jesus said to him, "Do not prevent him, for whoever is not against you is for you". Why would "whoever is not against you is for you", stay with me? I did not want that to be the phrase that stayed with me.

I read it again and again and the same phrase persisted. All week I mulled it over and kept resisting it. I didn't like it! I didn't want that to be the phrase.

I sat with it but I did not want to deal with it. Then I started questioning why I was resisting it. What is the scripture telling me? Could it be sometimes we feel that people who think or do things different, are not only not of the same mind but are actually against us?

Comments on this experience will be very welcome!

Judi said...

I wonder if the practice of putting ourselves in God's hands sometimes leads to discomfort. If it's true for my practice of Centering, which it is--I am often uncomfortable with the truth about my motivations--then it might also be true about my lectio practice. Neither practice promises resolution; both require openness.